History of the Diocese
The Diocese of Peterborough was first established July 11, 1882 by Pope Leo XIII and was found through the union of the Vicariate of Northern Canada and the western part of the Diocese of' Kingston. As an Episcopal see, it extended from the shores of Lake Ontario north to Georgian Bay and from the shores of Lake Superior to the border of the Archdiocese of St. Boniface, Manitoba. The diocese had a Catholic population of about 30,000 and Bishop Jean Francois Jamot, the first Bishop, took residence here.
Due to the creation of the Diocese of Sault Saint Marie in 1904, the present geographical area of the Diocese of Peterborough includes the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound; the Counties of Peterborough and Northumberland; the City of Kawartha Lakes; the Municipality of Clarington; and five south western townships of the County of Haliburton. The Muskoka Lakes Region. the Kawartha Lakes Region and that portion or the Trent-Severn Waterway- each located within our diocese -- have seen the livelihoods of trapping, hunting, and lumbering be succeeded by recreation and tourism. Today various industries, small businesses, and government offices create the mainstay in most of the major towns.